Tuesday, December 22, 2015

My new cookbooks

Growing up, we were told not to judge a book by it's cover. Well, folks, if there was ever a time I didn't listen to what I was being told - this is it. When I'm at the library, I literally judge books by their covers - and if we are getting technical, I judge them by their spines. Cool font, BIG one word title, attractive colours... these are the things I look for when choosing a book. I mean, yeah, I generally go to the library for a particular book but I always end up browsing the aisles and picking out a couple more that look cool. I've had really good luck with this method and I can probably count on one hand how many times it didn't quite work (in fact there is a book waiting to go back that I judged by the spine and am  not finishing it cause it was weird). So this is how I know my two new cookbooks are going to be amazing.

While browsing in the cooking section at Chapters, as I often do, a book caught my eye, "Thug Kitchen" (+Thug Kitchen Team). Their slogan, "Eat like you give a f*ck". I immediately came to the verdict that I needed this cookbook. THEN I saw that there was a second one - "Thug Kitchen: Party Grub" I needed both. Before even looking inside either one of them, I decided I needed to have them. Just to be sure, I did look through them to check out the selection and onto my Christmas list they went. This past weekend, we celebrated Christmas with Ian's family and I received one. Tonight, Ian and I exchanged gifts because we are heading to visit my family this week and the less we have to pack the better - and to my surprise, I opened the other! (Ian had to return the one he originally bought me, because it turns out I already got it on Saturday!!) So now, our cookbook cupboard is fully stocked with Jean Pare Company's Coming books and Thug Kitchen books cause I'm a badass.

Thug Kitchen is the perfect combination of profanity and excellent food. I don't know what could be better than that. Some of the descriptions of their recipes are laugh-out-loud funny! I have the +Oh She Glows Cookbook, a vegan book by Canadian blogger Angela Liddon (I have mentioned this in a previous post). I love it and use it very regularly.... since I'm not actually a vegan, I am not super diligent when it comes to some ingredients (that makes grocery shopping a little easier too). Anyway, the point of me talking about vegan cookbooks is that I didn't even realize until Saturday, when I was reading Thug Kitchen - that they are plant based books too! So I am very excited! These recipes are so unique that you can't get bored. There are ingredients I've never heard of or bought or even seen in a regular grocery store, but I may as well just get it over with and say the motivational quote "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone" or something like that. It's exciting to cook something you've never cooked before! Plus, when you're not the one who actually invented the recipe, it doesn't matter as much if you a) ruin it or b) it just tastes down right awful because you don't have to take credit for anything but following the author's directions! It's not your regular meat, carb, veggies meal. I've never used so many different spices in the same meal until I started to cook from Oh She Glows. There's just so much flavour and colour and all around awesomeness with tons of nutrients and good stuff your body wants and needs in these books. Listen to me preach, when I have probably gained at least five pounds in the last two weeks because we took over our canteen and there's always leftover popcorn and I've been doing Christmas baking. I love the holidays, don't get me wrong, but as soon as I step off the plane next week after Christmas, I am putting on a pot of Detox Soup from Oh She Glows and getting back into shape (I couldn't tell you the last time I wasn't trying to get into shape... so now that I've just announced it to several hundred people, I better follow through! ... Even though I think I've said this already).

So to say I am excited, is an understatement and I can't wait to share with you all which recipes I have tried and which ones I recommend! Thug Kitchen is awesome because they understand real life. They get that it's easier to just stop somewhere and pick up something to eat - so their recipes are simple and good for you (at least they try to tell you they are simple..... I'll be sure to report!).  It's so easy for us to forget that what we put into our bodies is fuelling us and we need good fuel to run well!! If you're good to your body, it's likely going to be good to you, too. After all, you only get one - so treat it well!

I wish I could start cooking right now but it is 11:30 PM and I have a TON of stuff to get done tomorrow after work and be on a plane Wednesday right after work. This brings me to question... If I have as many hours in a day as Beyonce... how does she write, record and shoot videos of a new album without anyone knowing and I'm over here like.... uh I brushed my hair today, do I get a gold star?

You can see by that last little sentence that I should be getting to sleep.

Anyone out there try Thug Kitchen yet? Let me know your thoughts!!

dream big dreams, be reckless.. MERRY CHRISTMAS
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment