Sunday, June 26, 2016

Wake up and smell the roses!

Just on the train back to Foxton after a nice weekend in London! Our first real touristy weekend was a good one. We checked out the London Eye, took a River Cruise, watched the changing of the guard and ate some awesome food at Camden Lock. Literally the greatest Mac and cheese I've ever had. Also, Ian got hit in the face by a pigeon yesterday. 

London. What a busy place!!!!!! Cambridge is busy, but London has exponentially more people walking around. And they're all stopping in the middle of the sidewalk to take pictures. It's like a game of dodgeball - you're always trying to dip around and avoid running into people and objects. 

This morning we went to the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace. We showed up about 45 minutes before it is scheduled to start and the place was already jam packed with people. It's really amazing if you think about how there are thousands of people there every single day to see this. We didn't really know what to expect and it was pretty hard to see but we could hear the band playing a medley of Coldplay songs. I'm dead serious. It was actually so cool!! So that was all fine and dandy and their uniforms are kind of hilarious because they are so intense and they have to wear those enormous fur hat/helmet things (I wonder how much they weigh!!!) but of course I can't go to something like that and not have something to complain about because let's face it, that's all I do is rant about things. So here goes. 

One of my biggest pet peeves is probably people who go to big events and watch it through their phones. Remember when we used to have film for our cameras? You got 24 pictures and then you had to change film and go get that one developed. You had to pay money just to see the photos. Now, we snap it and we can see it and then it stays on our devices (usually a phone.. Sometimes a tablet and that just screams TOURIST) and we scroll through them once in a while but not very often do we get them printed any more. I'll admit I print about once every two years but I wish I was more on the ball on printing photos and making albums but such is life. We don't enjoy the show any more. We don't enjoy the moment. We just snap pics and videos for the duration of whatever it is we are watching and then when it's over, we haven't really watched anything at all. Let me ask you this: when was the last time you actually watched the three minute video of the guitar solo from that concert? Or the shoot out from the hockey game? Chances are less than five, am I right? (Showing other people doesn't count) Think about that the next time you are out somewhere. Put your camera away and take in whatever it is you're watching. Obviously you'll want to take the odd snap chat or the odd photo - be my guest! All I'm saying is why would you watch an entire show through a 6 inch screen when you are right there in person?! We need to wake up and smell the roses, people! I would also just like to say I'm only talking about concerts and shows and stuff. You have kids? Obviously document every second of their life via photo and video. Pets? Heck ya! I am just talking about experiences and things you probably had to pay for. Experience them. 

I hope next time you're out at something cool, you'll close your eyes, take a deep breath, open your eyes back up and enjoy. 

dream big dreams, be reckless .. Live life while it's happening and not through your screens!
-L 

No comments:

Post a Comment