Tuesday, November 3, 2015

What to write

I don't know what I'm going to write about today .. so we will start with something everyone was talking about this weekend: How is it already November? (And now the inspiration has hit for today's post... all it took was one sentence!) And how have I already broken my promises to myself that I would a) post every Monday (it's Tuesday) and b) have an actual theme and topic for the blog (you are still just reading about random things from my life and once in a while, a recipe.. which, by the way, I have a pretty good one in the works!). I have to get this all figured out (amongst many other things in my life) before January rolls around because I don't believe in New Years' Resolutions. So everything has to just be plain old routine by then.

How often do you tell yourself you're going to do something? It's so disappointing when you break your own promises, isn't it? I know I'm not the only one who does. And I'm not afraid to share a bit of my ongoing to-do list...

1. Lose a few pounds - aren't we all trying to fix some part of our body in some way? I wish it weren't this way. The reason I got a kinesiology degree was simply to promote exercise and healthy lifestyles. I'm not a size 2, nor will I ever be, but that being said - I'm fit. I know I am whether I appear to be by the naked eye or not. And that is what I want people to realize. People's perception of fit and healthy are the instagram photos they see and the celebrities they read about and professional athletes. But those are not the norm. Fit and healthy are the way you live your life, being kind to your body. So maybe we should all focus on that instead of the scale? (And to my defence, I think the last time I was on a scale was cause I got a new doctor.. so it wasn't my choice)

2. Get back into the books and refresh myself in my education - afterall, it did cost a lot of time, money, tears, and effort to get my degree. Such a shame to let it all go to waste. What is holding me back? Myself. It's so easy just to say "Well, I'm not smart enough. I don't remember anything. I can't get a job anyways." But we are always our biggest enemy.

3. Write in my journal every day before I go to bed - for a while I only wrote in it when I was sad; then I decided I would write in it every day and write something about my day that made me smile (the outside of this journal says "SMILE EVERYDAY" but then I would get into a sad mood and forget about my daily smile. I was consistent again for a while, writing about anything I felt - but that ended shortly thereafter. I think we just have so many distractions in our lives that don't matter - like our smart phones, just a guess - that consume us and make us feel like we can't do anything else. I have been pretty good since this summer about turning my phone to airplane (not off so I can still use my alarm in the morning.... not that it wakes me up anyways) around 10:00 PM and letting myself wind down and read, but maybe I should start powering down earlier - like after supper - instead. Writing is something I have always loved - it is important to make sure we are able to enjoy these types of things.

4. Start up a business selling my cookies - I literally do not know why I'm stuck in this. My cookies are literally the one thing in my life I'm not modest about. I KNOW they're amazing and I've always dreamt of having a bakery with my cousin and I know I can take baby steps and start selling from home before moving on to bigger and better things if I am lucky enough to have the opportunity... but I'm just stuck. (But now I have written this down and published it for the world to see.)

I am going to write in my notebook tonight. I'm going to write my goals and my "to-do's" down tonight. I don't think I have ever actually done that before, so maybe that's all it actually takes - I just need to write everything down as it comes - all of my hopes, dreams, ideas .. and keep chipping away until I make them a reality. Or realize they are completely unrealistic, but at least I tried.

Anybody else do the same? Were you in a rut that you got out of? Do you keep your dreams and goals in a to-do list.. how is that going for you!? Let me know, I'd love to hear about it!

dream big dreams, be reckless
-L

No comments:

Post a Comment