Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Home sweet home

First thing's first.. this is my PROMISE to you that I am going to start blogging each and every Wednesday. I am not sure what it is exactly that has been deterring me from writing regularly... I mean, I love to sit on the couch and it is possible to blog from the couch so what's the hold up? I've said it before though, sometimes I'll write one and I won't press publish cause I don't think it is good enough so I shut my computer and call it a night. That being said, I could use a little help with topics. I do have a little notebook going with random thoughts for blogging but those are only going to last a few weeks! So let me know what I should be ranting about. I feel like you would all love to hear about some of the people we have to deal with at work, but I would like to stay employed.. so.. yeah.

On the evening of July 10, I flew home to Thunder Bay. This is the first time I was able to go home since November on the anniversary of my mom passing away, so I was really looking forward to getting back and visiting with family and seeing my friends. It was a pretty busy week with an internment service for my great aunt who passed away last fall, a birthday party for my sister-in-law (25 again, Anne?) and a big 80th bash for my great uncle Ed! Even some relatives from England were in Thunder Bay on my last day - great to visit with family from near and far. I was lucky enough to stay until this Monday - a nice long vacay that I really needed. I had a great week, and it was topped off with Ian and a small convoy (literally) of our friends driving out to go to my family's camp (cabin or cottage for those of you who are too cool to say camp) for the weekend. This was also the hardest time I had leaving the place I called home for 11 years and where I still have my childhood home to go back to.

While I was there, I conjured up a little list of things that always remind me of home, so without further ado...

Home is where....
- your food is name brand because your parents can afford it
- you walk through the back yard gate barefoot to get to your besties (a gate that was built for us - Thanks, Bob!)
- you find the BEST throwback Thursday pictures and if you remember to snag a pic of them all on your phone, you're pretty well set for life on #tbt's
- your wifi connects automatically, even after 8 months
- your government cheques are mailed (although, this most recent one is probably my last to TBay cause my dad kept bugging me to officially change my address cause apparently it doesn't match your driver's licence on it's own) ... and these cheques remind you that you have a university degree but still require government assistance because you make no money and maybe your degree was a big waste of time
- you sleep in a single bed with your favourite sheets and you love it
- you find clothes that should have never been in the store, let alone your personal closet... but they are memories so you hang them back up until maybe you're ready to get rid of them next time you're home.... or you send them out to camp
- you say words that no one says where you live now (for example, in my case: camp, transport, milk comes in a bag)
- your Toronto-born-and-raised-Maple-Leafs-fan-til-the-end-of-time Dad will actually wear the Jets t-shirt you bought him (hoping he might cheer for a team that made the playoffs this year.... no dice)
- you don't have to draw your eyebrows on if you don't feel like it cause chances are you didn't fill them in while you lived there anyways so no one will notice the difference
- and finally, home is where after a while of being away, the cutlery feels weird

That last one was strange, I know .. but now you're all going to think about the cutlery when you're back at your parent's home or really any family member's who you spent a lot of time with ... eating.

Just going to finish up my cup of coffee (cause apparently it is okay to schedule soccer games at 9:15 PM in the middle of the week............), read and head out to soccer. Don't worry, I have given up the dream - I don't play in net any more (it's been about 4 years), now I'm either forward, midfield or defence. Trust me, this is way more fun and I could really use the exercise. Fingers crossed I can actually score a goal by the end of the season (I have until October!)

dream big dreams, be reckless
- L



No comments:

Post a Comment